Pages

Friday 4 December 2020

2020 Advent Calendar Blog Hop

It's the fourth day in Jo's advent blog hop.

My Christmas stitching that I'd like to share today is this Christmas tree. I love the effect of the variegated thread in this design.

Christmas Tree Ornament - Debbie Draper Designs (Gift of Stitching, Dec 2007)
Fabric: 40ct Zweigart white linen
Thread: Crescent Colors Bing Cherry. Cording in DMC 3685

Jo asked us to think about Christmas books that we enjoy. I don't have a 'go to' Christmas read but as a child I always looked forward to Christmas as Santa would leave me a Christmas Annual of my then favourite weekly comic. I think the first one I received was Bunty. This weekly magazine comprised of several short comic-strip stories, broken up by letters pages, competitions, featured readers, puzzle pages, promotions, next-week previews or advertisements. The back page initially featured a cut-out doll and paper clothes. I loved that.  As I got older, my tastes changed and my favourite weekly comic became Tina, later called Princess Tina as it and Princess magazine merged. The contents were broadly similar to Bunty but for a young teen audience. Of course these are now out of print.


Check back to Jo's blog to find out who has/is posting on each day in December. 




21 comments:

  1. That's a lovely tree Mary, I must see if I still have my Gift of Stitching files. Receiving an annual was a bit part of my Christmas stocking, and we used to buy one for our children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. O wow, I remember the Bunty with the paper dolls, I was a Look-In girl at that age myself though. We'd often get Oor Wullie or The Broons as our annual.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a pretty ornaments, Mary! That Bing Cherry cording finishes it off perfectly, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty stitched ornament Mary and I remember receiving the Bunty annual too as part of my Christmas gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great stitching, love how those simple pattern make amazing Christmas tree. Nice stories about the book you loved (paper dolls and clothes sound great). xxx AmitiƩs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty tree and perfect finishing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am finding the books people have chosen interesting, of course each day I am looking to see if my choice has already made an outing...not yet but interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a lovely Christmas tree ornament. These are new books for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for taking part in the Advent Calendar Blog Hop this year. I like the little tree, I am planning to stitch more ornaments from GS myself.
    I remember Bunty although I read a magazine called Jinty and then Misty. My sister read Tammy. There were so many to choose from!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your ornament is lovely and the magazine look darling! I wish we still had good, wholesome, girl-ish magazines like that-my girls would love them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your Christmas tree ornament, and I enjoyed my visit here today. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a very pretty ornament! I am enjoying seeing what everyone read at Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A very pretty ornament!
    I remember those paper dolls, I loved cutting them out, hours of fun!
    There was another girls comic at the same time, I don’t really remember the name but having just looked on Pinterest I think it might have been Judy?
    Great reminiscing with you today!
    Wishing you a Very Happy Christmas!
    Hugs,
    Barbara xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. What fun it must have been as a young person to receive something like these in the mail! Love your wee tree ornie too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh I remember Bunty Annuals too. Of course the Christmas editions always arrived here in Australia sometime around February... in the heat of summer. Your tree sampler is a simple sweet ornament and finished nicely.
    Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a pretty little tree and the perfect finish.
    I loved reading the Bunty annuals growing up! Every Christmas Dad would order it from Britain (and Mandy, Judy, and whatever else was available for girls!) I would spend the day reading them and loving them all. I might just have to take them out this year to read them again, it's certainly been a long time since I've done that.
    Happy Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your Christmas tree. Never heard of those books. Thanks for coming to my blog. big hugs Lynda

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your tree ornament is beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Aww your little tree ornament is lovely and you've finished it beautifully! I have never heard of those books, but what a treasure to find them under the tree each year! Have a very Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the ornament and lovely finishing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely ornament Mary. I used to look forward to my Christmas Annulas too

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and leaving a comment.

It is lovely to hear what you think.